Introductory Theraplay and MIM Training
Cosponsored by Gay Caldwell Roper Center for Counselor Education And The Theraplay Institute
Content Applicable Towards 150 Instructional Hours in Play TherapyAPT approved for:
- Social Workers
- Child Life Specialists
- Graduate Students
4 day training – 26 hours CE credit — May 16-19, 8:30a-4:30p Room 253-254
Trainer: Mary Ring, MAMFC, LPC-S, LMFT-S, RPT-S, Certified Theraplay Therapist and Trainer.
Theraplay is a short-term, therapist-guided, attachment-based play therapy for children
and their parents/caregivers which:
- Enhances attachment, self-esteem and trust in others through joyful engagement.
- Is based on the natural patterns of healthy interaction between parent and child.
- Focuses on four essential qualities found in parent-childrelationships: Structure, Nurture, Engagement and Challenge.
- Creates an active and empathic connection between child and parents.
- Results in a changed view of the self as worthy and lovable, and of relationships as positive and rewarding.
This training will prepare participants to use Theraplay at a beginning level including how to:
- Administer the MIM and analyze it at a beginning level.
- Conduct feedback sessions with parents based upon the MIM analysis.
- Use the MIM as a guideline for Theraplay treatment planning.
- Differentiate/use the four Theraplay dimensions: Structure, Nurture, Engagement and Challenge.
- Describe the relationship of Theraplay to current attachment and brain research.
- Describe how Theraplay applies play therapy to meet the needs of children with behavior problems, foster and adopted children, children with autism/ PDD, older children and children suffering from trauma.
- Work with parents to observe their children more empathically and participate in treatment sessions aimed at fostering better parent-child attachment.
APT Sponsor: Theraplay Institute #95-008 Other CEUs offered, see website or call 847-256-7334
Register with The Theraplay Institute below.
Workshop Located at:
Houston’s First Baptist Church
7401 Katy Freeway, Suite 253/54
Houston, TX 77024
Contact person at Gay Caldwell Roper Center: