Registration deadline: Fri, May 13
From Exodus 22:22 to James 1:27, the importance of serving widows is evident. As men who are called to lead through serving, the Band of Brothers mobilizes teams of men across the city of Houston to serve the widows of our church.
We are looking for men who are able to work and lead other men in serving. Men who have lawn equipment and tools. Men who enjoy serving alongside other men. Men who are simply willing to work in service to the King of Kings.
- All men MUST register by Fri, May 13 (eight days before the event) to give us time to create teams.
- A background check done through the church is required for every volunteer 18 years and older to serve at Men:Serve. See the section, “Background Checks” below, for more details.
- If you desire to serve on the same team with friends, men in your Grow Group or Life Bible Study class, please list their names and/or the name of the Life Bible Study class in the designated questions within the registration. We will do our best to make that happen.
- If you have a son, please register them too. We ask that they be of school age and capable of working alongside of you. If you are unsure, please ask us.
- You will receive your team and mission assignment for a widow via email the Wednesday before the Men:Serve event.
No walk-ups allowed. Please register as soon as possible. Spots are limited. Thank you!
Adapting Men:Serve for COVID-19
To accommodate the safety of all involved, we are adapting our Men: serve approach during COVID-19. The following changes have been made:
- Not all widow sites will have work needs inside the home. You will have the opportunity within the registration to select your preference on whether you would be comfortable being assigned to a site that will require work to be done inside the home.
- A background check done through the church is required for every volunteer 18 years and older, to serve at Men:Serve. We do not accept background checks from other companies/organizations.
- The church’s background checks are valid for 5 years. If your background check is still valid, you will not receive any event communications until the week of the Men:Serve event.
- If your background check has expired, or you do not have one on file with the church:
- After you register for Men:Serve*, you will receive an email from our Operations Administrative Assistant with the subject line “Background Check Requested” that contains a link to the background check application to fill out and submit. The email will be from Amy.Thorn@HoustonsFirst.org. Please check your Spam folder if you do not see it in your inbox.
*If you register well in advance of the event, you will receive your request for a background check within 3 weeks of the Men:Serve event.
- Fill out the background check application and submit it at your earliest convenience. Background checks can sometimes in rare cases take about a week to be reviewed and processed by our vendor.
- You will be contacted when your background check has been reviewed and approved.
- If we do not receive your background check back from the vendor by the Friday afternoon before the event, you will be contacted that you cannot serve at Men:Serve, per the church’s policy.