Updated: Tue, July 14
At Houston’s First, we love kids and summer is one of our favorite times of the year! We, along with you, were looking forward to the fun, the growth, and the togetherness of this summer. However, we always want you to be confident in the safety of your child(ren) while with the church at any of our events.
Now, as we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic, our NextGen Ministries are having to reevaluate our summer plans.
Besides safety, decisions are also being made based on the time required to effectively plan each event, the availability of volunteers, and the responsible use of finances. Be assured that we are looking for ways to keep some of these events available with alternative dates or times — and possibly even new formats!
Check back for more information on the Pending or Postponed events listed below, and be sure to stop by the CONNECT page to follow your campus’ First Friends, First Kids, and The HUB ministries on social media. Finally, check out the FAQs below for more information.
Summer 2020 NextGen Events
- NextGen Summer Kickoff at Typhoon Texas (May 29) – Postponed
- Will now be NextGen Back-To-School Kickoff in August (exact date TBD) – Cancelled
- Current conditions prevent us from doing a large Back-to-School Event.
- Promotion Sunday (May 31) – Postponed
- Will now happen in the fall once all NextGen returns (exact date TBD)
- Camp Rush (June 1-5) – Cancelled
- This camp is administrated by Camp Eagle and they have cancelled this event.
- Watch a video from their Executive Director Matt Reed here.
- Pine Cove: Camp In The City at Sienna Campus (June 1-5) – Rescheduled
- The camp has been rescheduled for Aug 3-7 – Cancelled
- Pre-Teen Camp (June 9-12) – Cancelled
- This camp is administrated by LifeWay/Student Life and they have cancelled this event.
- Rushmore – Cypress (June 12-17) – Cancelled
- Team members have been notified about the reasons behind the decision.
- Elevate Mission Tour (June 11-14) – Cancelled
- To be consistent with other camp decisions and COVID-19 concerns, this event is cancelled.
- VBS at The Loop (June 22-25) – Rescheduled
- VBS 2020 has been rescheduled for Wednesday evenings in September (2, 9, 16, 23, 30). More details to come.
- VBS at Cypress (June 22-25) – Rescheduled
- VBS @ Home will be offered July 27-30. Find details and registration here.
- Rush Week (July 21-27) – Cancelled
- Rush HOU (July 13–16) – Cancelled
- T Bar M Discovery Day Camp at Cypress Campus (July 27-31) – Cancelled
- T Bar M has cancelled this camp due to a shortage of team members this summer.
- SuperPlace Camp – Thru the Roof (July 27-31) – Cancelled
- What will happen with the deposits/money already paid for any events?
For any cancelled events, money previously paid during a registration will be refunded. However, the IRS does not allow us to refund money given by individuals that received contribution credit. So, if a relative contributed money to the church for your child's Camp Rush registration, those funds cannot be refunded.
- Why is Promotion Sunday being postponed?
There are several things we want to make sure we have in place to provide quality transitions for students from one grade to the next.
- First, we want to provide special and excellent events for those who are transitioning from one division (ie. Preschool) to another.
- Also, we have been told by mental health professionals that during the current crisis, it is important that kids return to what they know before moving them to something new. We want to provide this stability for your kids, and we will continue to consult with professionals to discern the appropriate amount of time.
- Finally, we need to recruit and train the volunteer leaders needed to make sure your child has a godly, effective, and excellent experience in our ministries. We will notify you weeks ahead of the Promotion Sunday date! If you would like to part of the incredible team of adults who work with kids at Houston’s First, complete this Volunteer form and we'll be in touch!