We did it, Houston's First family!
Once again, the Houston's First family came together to show our church's support for missionaries who are sharing the Good News of Jesus in Texas, the United States, and around the world!
The World Mission Offering — given beyond our regular tithes — is an annual offering received by the church. Our goal in 2020 was $1,400,000 with the funds to be given as follows to missionary-sending organizations:
- International Mission Board — $1,000,000
- North American Mission Board — $400,000
- Southern Baptists of Texas Convention — $100,000
When the donations were tallied, the Houston's First family had given $2,286,312 — surpassing our goal by nearly $900,000! As planned in advance, these additional funds will now be distributed as follows:
- Faith Center-Spring Branch Remodeling — $150,000
- Replace A/C (total cost of $250,000)
- Local Pro-Life Causes — $100,000
- Houston Pregnancy Help Center
- Ft. Bend Crisis Pregnancy Center
- Scripture Translation — $100,000
- Seed Company
- Word for the World
- Church Planting in India — $90,000
- Nine Indian church planters at $10,000 each
- Houston Welcomes Refugees — $50,000
- Legacy 685 Adoption, Foster, & Orphan Care — $50,000
However, our church family generously gave even more than what was needed to cover those contributions. The remaining funds — nearly $350,000 — and any additional funds that came in after the March 1 announcement will go to our church's general missions fund to support other missional endeavors.
"We thank God for how He consistently moves in the hearts of our church family — and how our church family consistently follows His lead," said Pastor Gregg Matte. "Because of our church family's faithfulness to generously give as He led us to give, we are able to make a difference in the lives of more people than we will ever know. But, we know that He knows each one of them by name and we pray that they will be open to receiving the Gospel."
Beyond the WMO
The World Mission Offering is just one way that Houston's First supports missionaries and missional endeavors throughout the year. Here are just a few of the other ways our church family is committed to advancing the Good News:
- The Great Commission Fund (our annual operating budget) has $4,500,000 designated for Missions thanks to the ongoing generosity of the Houston's First family.
- Between $10,000,000-$12,000,000 is processed by our Missions team on an annual basis, including budgeted funds as well as designated donations such as contributions raised by members of our short-term mission trips.
- In 2020, Houston's First will send out nearly 30 teams on short-term mission trips to 17 countries on five continents.
- Houston's First supports over 200 missionaries serving in more than 35 countries around the world.
- Our Missionary Care team trains church members on how to serve as Missionary Care Contacts, connecting members, families, and Life Bible Studies with missionaries so they can provide them with prayer, connection, and encouragement.
- Our Missionary Care team also supports global workers through international and local retreats, counseling and debriefing, housing and transportation needs for returned workers, and Home Group — a Bible study for returned workers in a small setting in the Houston area.