Houston’s First Baptist Church is a member of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA), an accrediting organization that is dedicated to helping Christian ministries and churches uphold high standards of responsible stewardship. For more information, visit ECFA.church.
The monthly financial report is compiled by Finance staff members and subsequently submitted to and approved by the Finance Committee, the Deacon body, and church members at the monthly Church Conference.
Current Financial Report
Comments regarding the June 2019 financial report for the 2018-2019 fiscal year (July 1–June 30):
- Contributions through June 2019 were $1,587,017 below budgeted expectations for the fiscal year.
- Expenses through June 2019 were $1,620,387 below budget for the fiscal year.
- Houston's First Baptist Church had a surplus of $33,371 as of June 30, 2019 for the fiscal year.
Questions about this report should be directed to the Financial Services Director, Cliff Bryant, at Cliff.Bryant@HoustonsFirst.org.
Great Commission Fund
The Great Commission Fund is the operating budget of Houston's First Baptist Church. The proposed Great Commission Fund for 2019-2020 fiscal year (July 1-June 30) totals $32,674,000 thanks to the continuing generosity of the Houston's First family and numerous other contributors to the ministry of our church.
GROW — $6,035,000 (18%)
Life Bible Studies, Pastoral Care, Men’s and Women’s Ministries, NextGen, Membership Services
GATHERING — $5,880,000 (18%)
Worship, Production, Communications, Pastoral, CornerBooks, Celebration, School of Fine Arts
MISSIONS — $5,112,000 (16%) *
Missions Department, Denominational Support, International and Domestic Missions, Woodhaven, Faith Center, partners serving the Poor, Widows, Orphans, Prisoners, and Refugees
CAMPUSES — $6,747,000 (21%)
Cypress, Downtown, Español, Sienna
OPERATIONS — $6,024,000 (18%)
Property Insurance, Church Calendar, Operations, Financial Services, Culinary Services, Weddings/Special Events, Security, Transportation, Facilities, IT, Capital Improvements
ADMINISTRATION — $ 2,126,000 (7%)
First Baptist Academy, Deacons, Counseling, Administration,
Recreation, Hunt Retreat, Human Resources
CAPITAL RESERVE — $750,000 (2%)
TOTAL GREAT COMMISSION FUND — $32,674,000
* MISSIONS — This is the operating budget given to Missions. In addition to these funds, Missions also receives, on average, more than $5 million annually in designated giving from contributors (an amount not included in the operating budget numbers shown here). The Missions-designated funds support missional causes throughout our city, nation and world.
Each year, Houston’s First Baptist Church adopts an annual operating budget — our Great Commission Fund. The budget helps the church to conduct ministry while maintaining accountability and stewardship over the resources the Lord has entrusted us with through the generosity of the Houston’s First family and other contributors to the ministry of our church.
The budget process for fiscal year 2019-2020 started in February with five individuals from Financial Services and Operations reviewing three years of actual expenditures for approximately 60 church departments/ministries. Meetings were then conducted with the departments/ministries to determine the budget for the fiscal year running July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020. This resulted in a review of over 1,600 income and expense accounts.
Once the budget was approved at the senior staff level, it was submitted to the Finance Committee for discussion and approval. Following their approval on May 22, the budget was sent to the Deacon body for their consideration. After the Deacons approve the budget, members of the church are invited to vote on the budget at the monthly Church Conference to be held on Wed, June 5, at 7:30p in the Fellowship Center at The Loop Campus.
Financial Integrity and Accountability
Houston's First believes strongly in financial integrity and accountability when it comes to the resources entrusted to us by contributors to the church's ministry.
- On a monthly or bi-monthly basis, financial reports are presented to the Finance Committee, the Deacon body, and to the church members at the Church Conference. These reports are posted here for public access.
- On an annual basis, the church brings in an independent auditing firm to conduct an audit of our financial records and practices.
Anyone may attend the Church Conferences, but only members of Houston's First may vote on matters presented for a vote. Church Conferences are typically held during the evening on the first Wednesday of the month at The Loop Campus. To confirm the next scheduled Church Conference, contact Diane Bagby at Diane.Bagby@HoustonsFirst.org