UPDATED: Tue, Sep 15 @ 10:15a
Houston's First has weathered many hurricanes over the years — including direct hits, near misses, and distant disasters far from home. This page provides updates on how we plan to help with relief efforts in the wake of the storm.
Relief Teams • Affected Homeowners Support • Donated Items • Financial Support
We have concluded our relief day trips to the Lake Charles, LA area. For volunteering options, please visit one of our partners below.
OPERATION BBQ RELIEF
If you are interested in partnering with Operation BBQ Relief on their relief efforts, you may do so on your own by registering with them here.
- Be aware that Operation BBQ Relief requires all volunteers serving with them to sign an Arbitration Agreement, sign a COVID release form at check-in onsite, and have a background check performed by them.
- As a part of Operation BBQ Relief’s COVID-19 policy, you will be required to wear a face mask at all times, wear food prep gloves with any food (which will be provided) and will have your temperature screened multiple times throughout the day.
If you are interested in partnering with Samaritan’s Purse on their relief efforts, you may do so on your own by registering with them here.
- Be aware that Samaritan's Purse requires all volunteers serving with them to have a COVID-19 test within the previous week that has come back negative. Quick tests are acceptable.
- Volunteers must present proof of their negative COVID-19 test when checking in to serve.
- Due to this limitation, Houston's First is focusing our efforts with First Baptist Moss Bluff.
Affected Homeowners Support
has three Louisiana bases from which they will be serving homeowners in need in the wake of Hurricane Laura. Homeowners in need of help can call the number for the area closest to them and request help to get on Samaritan’s Purse’s list:
- Lake Charles Site — Homeowner Phone: 337-244-0982
- DeRidder Site — Homeowner Phone: 337-226-4923
- Jennings Site — Homeowner Phone: 337-329-1477
If you are interested in donating supplies to the Lake Charles area, visit Houston Responds here.
Houston's First Cypress Campus is responding to the Hurricane Laura disaster relief in the Lake Charles area by providing FBC Longville, HOPE Disaster, and Trinity Baptist Church with supplies. To learn what supplies are needed as well as drop-off days at the Cypress Campus, click here.
Thanks to the ongoing generosity of the Houston's First family, we were able to immediately send a total of $25,000 to organizations directly involved with relief efforts in the impacted areas. Houston's First has provided funds to:
- North American Mission Board (NAMB) / Send Relief
- Southern Baptists of Texas Convention (SBTC) Disaster Relief
- Samaritan’s Purse