When we observe the Lord's Supper at Houston's First, we want every believer who wants to participate to be able to do so — even when joining our worship services online.
When is The Lord's Supper?
The Lord's Supper is observed at Houston's First several times during the year, either during Sunday worship services or special gatherings. Upcoming observances are:
- Sun, Jan 8, 2023
- Thu, Apr 6, 2023 (Broken For You service on Maundy Thursday)
- Sun, July 30, 2023
- The Loop Campus @ 9:15a, 11a, and 5p
- Cypress @ 9:30a and 11a
- Downtown @ 9:30a and 11a
- Sienna @ 8:30a, 9:45a, and 11:15a
- Online @ 9:15a, 11a, and 5p
- Sun, Oct 1, 2023
What is The Lord's Supper?
This special ordinance was given to all believers by Jesus
to remember His sacrifice for us — being broken for you
— and also to symbolize the new covenant. The elements of bread and juice are symbols of Christ’s broken body and shed blood. The Lord's Supper is not a way to
salvation, or required for
salvation. Rather, it is a testament of a believer’s faith.
If you are a believer in Jesus Christ, you are invited to partake in the Lord's Supper when we observe it at Houston's First. If you do not consider Christ to be your Savior, you are welcome to join us for the services, but ask that you not observe the Lord's Supper.
How Do I Prepare For It?
If you plan to attend worship services at one of our campuses, the Lord's Supper elements — juice and bread — will be provided for you. If you plan to worship with Houston's First online on, here's how you can prepare for the Lord's Supper at home:
- Purchase Grape Juice. Have enough for everybody who plans to participate.
- Purchase Bread or Baked Crackers. Unleavened bread is preferred (baked without yeast). See below for a simple recipe you can follow at home if you choose.
- Get the Elements Ready. Before worship service begins, prepare small cups and cracker/bread pieces for each person.
Pastor Gregg or our Campus Pastors will guide us through the Lord's Supper during the service, instructing us when to drink and when to eat. You simply need to have the elements ready!
Lord's Supper Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup of flour (65 g)
- 1/4 tsp of salt (1.5 g)
- 1 tbsp of oil (15 ml)
- Cold water to mix (approx 2 tbsp or 30 ml)
Mix all ingredients.
Knead for 1 minute.
Let rest for 20 minutes.
Roll thinly and bake on cookie sheet at 350 for about 8-10 minutes or until done.
Keep a close eye on it — after 5 minutes it could burn easily!