Individuals & Couples Counseling

How do I choose a counselor?

The counselors of the Julianna Poor Memorial Counseling Center are either licensed by the state, in the process of completing state requirements, or in their Master’s level work. You can find out more about each of our counselors on the Counseling Center Team page. There you can read about each counselor’s background, passion and training. If you would like further information, our administrative staff will help you. Each counselor has their own informed consent. The links to the informed consents are located under each counselor’s picture. Please print off the informed consent, read and sign it, and bring it with you for your first appointment.

How do I set up an appointment?

Once you have an idea of the counselor you would like, you can call our office at 713.335.6462.This is also the contact number if you are attending therapy at one of the other campuses. Our administrative staff will be happy to assist you. Inform the front desk staff of the counselor you would like to see and the time or day that best works for you. You will be asked some general information so that we can give you a courtesy call the day prior to your appointment. Due to the client loads of some our counselors you may need to be flexible in your time or day. You may also need to have a second and third choice of counselor whom you would be interested in seeing.

What are the fees? Do you take insurance? How do I pay?

The fees at the counseling center are $50 per session for members or visitors of Houston's First Baptist Church and $100 per session for non-members. We do see the work that we do at the counseling center as a ministry and want to help anyone we can. If finances are an issue, you may discuss this with your counselor in your first session. Our administrative staff cannot offer you a reduced rate or insure any help. We do not take insurance, but we will print off a bill for you to file with your insurance provider (once the counselor has provided the administrative staff with a diagnosis code). Let your counselor or the administrative staff know if you need a bill for insurance. Payments by cash, check, credit or debit card are accepted. If you are receiving counseling at one of our other campuses you can pay by credit/debit card at the time of making/confirming your appointment. Counselors will not be taking payments at the different campuses.

How early do I have to show up? Is there paperwork to fill out?

It will take you approximately 20 minutes to complete the necessary paperwork. This may be done before you come, or at the office. You can find our paperwork under Forms in the right hand column on the webpage. If you are an adult, one per person needs to be filled out. If the counseling is for a child, then we need paperwork specified for the child. If you are not the biological parent of the child, or in the case of divorce, we need the documentation that shows you have the legal right to decide on psychological care for the child. In some cases additional paperwork is needed, and the administrative staff will make you aware of this when you make the appointment.

What is the counseling center? How do I get there? Where do I park?

The Counseling Center is located on the campus of Houston's First Baptist Church. We are located on the 6th floor of the south side of the church. Directions to the church can be found on the Location page. If you drive around to the backside of the church opposite of I-10, you will be on the south side. This would be the closest place to park, and there is plenty of parking. If you enter through the doors nearest the condominiums you will find the bank of elevators that will take you to the sixth floor. Once you get off the elevator, the door to the counseling center will be immediately to your left.

For counseling at the Cypress campus the address is 22220 B Northwest Fwy. Cypress, TX 77429

For counseling at the Downtown campus the address is 1113 Vine Street, Suite 117Houston, TX 77002

Is there childcare?

Unfortunately we do not offer childcare at any of the campuses.

When are appointments available?

The normal business hours of the Counseling Center at the loop are M-F 8:30-4:30. We do have evening hours available M-Th on a case by case situation and based on the counselor’s availability. The Counseling Center is closed on Saturdays. Sunday appointments are available on a limited basis and are usually reserved for premarital counseling.

Counseling services at the Cypress campus are currently Monday (8:30-12) Thursday (8:30-4) and Friday (8:30-12).

Counseling services at the Downtown campus are Sunday (2-7).

Counseling services at Sienna are available Wednesday (9-5) and Thursday (12-8).

What else does the counseling center offer?

Diagnostic assessment, consultation, preparation for marriage classes, and referral to specialists in the community are also offered. Issues requiring long term care are referred to alternate community resources.

Additionally, counselors are available to teach classes and present seminars on a wide variety of topics to church related groups. Frequently requested topics include: addictive behaviors, marriage and family enrichment, money management, parenting issues, separation and divorce, spiritual concerns, and vocational/educational choices.

We also offer various support groups led by lay people in the church. We have a Pre-marital Program for couples interested in pursuing a healthy start to God’s institution of marriage. The First HOPE Job Ministry helps individuals find employment and provides preparation tools during the job search. Celebrate Recovery is a ministry for individuals who have some difficult things going on in life and need a place to share. More about each of these can be found in the navigation on the right.

Spiritual Direction Marriage Intensives are another offering of the counseling center. These are an all-day spiritual searching for depth and peace in marriages…see sidebar “intensives” for more information.

What about confidentiality?

By state laws we are bound to confidentiality. Each counselor’s informed consent gives the details of the confidentiality.

What do all the letters after the names mean?

MAMaster of Arts
MAFMCMaster of Arts in Family and Marital Counseling
MACEMaster of Arts in Christian Education
MACCMaster of Arts in Christian Counseling
LPC-InternLicensed Professional Counselor Intern
LPCLicensed Professional Counselor
LPC-SLicensed Professional Counselor Supervisor
LMFT-ALicensed Marriage and Family Associate
LMFTLicensed Marriage and Family Therapist
LMFT-SLicensed Marriage and Family Therapist Supervisor
LMSWLicensed Master Social Worker
LCSWLicensed Clinical Social Worker
CARTCertified Anger Resolution Therapist
CSATCertified Sexual Addiction Therapist
RPTRegistered Play Therapist
RPT-SRegistered Play Therapist Supervisor